I have to say that I’m super impressed. As if I didn’t already love their music.
Totally digging this song today. Definitely one of those wonderful songs that fly under your radar until you’ve heard it a few times.
Because I can’t get this song out of my head (and I get to see him in about 3 weeks).
∆ Zadie Smith | Novelist, Essayist, Short Story Writer, Editor…
Zadie Smith’s 10 Rules of Writing
- When still a child, make sure you read a lot of books. Spend more time doing this than anything else.
- When an adult, try to read your own work as a stranger would read it, or even better, as an enemy would.
- Don’t romanticise your ‘vocation’. You can either write good sentences or you can’t. There is no ‘writer’s lifestyle’. All that matters is what you leave on the page.
- Avoid your weaknesses. But do this without telling yourself that the things you can’t do aren’t worth doing. Don’t mask self-doubt with contempt.
- Leave a decent space of time between writing something and editing it.
- Avoid cliques, gangs, groups. The presence of a crowd won’t make your writing any better than it is.
- Work on a computer that is disconnected from the internet.
- Protect the time and space in which you write. Keep everybody away from it, even the people who are most important to you.
- Don’t confuse honours with achievement.
- Tell the truth through whichever veil comes to hand — but tell it. Resign yourself to the lifelong sadness that comes from never being satisfied.
I’m not sure I’ve ever read a sentence more true to writing that the last sentence in this post.
Because their harmonies are insane.
Because I watched this video a few weeks ago and have since bought both of their albums.
I’ve been on a massive Allen Stone kick since I bought his album.
I’m totally digging Allen stone right now. And if you dig him too, the mp3 of his latest album is $5 on Amazon right now.